Greenhouse Gases and Climate Change

BlueScope Steel believes reducing greenhouse gas emissions is an important global issue, and that we have a responsibility to join with the rest of the community to address climate change concerns.

Making iron and steel produces significant quantities of greenhouse gases.  Carbon – in the form of coal and coke – is the chemical reagent that converts iron ore to iron in a blast furnace.  Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases are emitted as an unavoidable by-product of this process.

About 80 per cent of BlueScope Steel’s greenhouse gas emissions come directly from this process of making iron.  The other 20 per cent are indirect emissions, mainly from the consumption of electricity and natural gas.

BlueScope Steel is working to find ways of reducing both its direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions.  We are committed to progressively reducing our emissions, as well as helping inefficient steelworks in other countries to adopt modern, energy efficient practices and technology.

The laws of chemistry, physics and thermodynamics dictate the amount of carbon used in iron making, with current usage close to theoretical minimum levels.  Reducing direct emissions will therefore require a major technology breakthrough.

BlueScope Steel is participating in international research efforts, including with the International Iron and Steel Institute, to find new breakthrough technology.  More information about these efforts is contained in this report.

BlueScope Steel publicly reports its greenhouse gas emissions (in Australia and globally).  The Company is also a member of the Australian Government’s Greenhouse Challenge, and represents the Australian steel industry on the Asia-Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate (APP) steel task force.

Print This Page Print This Page    Email this Page Email this page